Monday, March 17, 2008

Marion 'Grace' Jones?

We all know the story of Marion Jones - The 5 Time Olympic Medalist at the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney, Australia...only to fall from grace 7 years later after admitting she took performance-enhancing drugs.

But Marion, unlike many in Public Life, took a rare leap forward. She stepped up. Faced the public. And took responsibility, acknowledging her deeds as open as any 'Lost' child could.

In here words taken from NBC Sports (Click here for more)

“It’s with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust,” Jones said, her voice cracking as her mother stood behind her, a strong and supportive hand on her shoulder.

“I have been dishonest and you have the right to be angry with me. I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down,” she said, pausing frequently to regain her composure. “I recognize that by saying I’m deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and hurt that I’ve caused you.

“Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”


Marion, unlike many, in the most geniune fashion...came clean. She did not try to hide from the public. She did not try to make excuses. She did not try to escape the consequences.

She acknowledged her shame. And most importantly...she acknowledged her just punishment.

How many people do we hear in public life try to fight their way out of dealing with the consequences?

Marion Jones warrants punishment....yes, I agree. I show no leniency towards her when it comes to what one deserves. It doesn't mean I despise her. It just means that there are consequences for individual behavior.

But unlike many, she has accepted her disgrace and shame. The First Tell Tale signs of changes in the heart. The First Tell Tale signs to accepting Grace.

As Americans we are a forgiving group of people. When someone like Marion Jones is on her knees acknowledging her shame and guilt and pleading for forgiveness....then we as Americans should embrace this opportunity...to embrace this child of America....and welcome her back.

No Matter what one says about Marion Jones. On Oct 5th 2007, Marion Jones became "free".

No comments: